Apply for internship
About the Sorenson Impact Center
The Sorenson Impact Center with the David Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah envisions a thriving world where all people are valued, communities prosper, and the measured impact of our actions guides decision making. The Center advances global impact through innovation in impact investing and finance, public policy and government spending, and corporate and social sector behavior with organizations across the globe, and utilizes world-class data science, impact storytelling and collaboration as key tools. As part of its mission to train future impact leaders, the Center integrates academic programming and experiential learning into each of its practice areas.
The Impact Investing team at the Sorenson Impact Center is seeking student applicants to join as a student analyst. The student-led investing team underwrites venture capital deals for investing clients (e.g., venture funds, foundations, family offices). Analysts accepted into the program will receive unparalleled venture capital experience by completing due diligence into early-stage start-ups and recommending investments to our clients. Throughout this process analysts receive training in sourcing early-stage companies, speaking with entrepreneurs, completing due diligence including financial modeling and valuation, deploying capital, and monitoring portfolio companies. The investment approach is business model and industry agnostic – students may individually facilitate over one million dollars invested across fin-tech, health-tech, ed-tech, environmental-tech or consumer goods during their tenure. High performing analysts are promoted to associate, and outstanding associates are promoted to senior associate.
- Research and describe business models, sales strategies, regulatory status/IP, management teams, competition, etc., across a variety of industries
- Analyze industry trends, estimate target market sizes, identify and analyze competitive threats
- Conduct enterprise valuation analysis and pro forma financial modeling
- Prepare internal investment memos and presentations
- Present key findings and recommendations to investment committees, comprised of professional investors with decades of investing experience
- Engage and manage entrepreneur relationships to source new investment opportunities
- Build networking relationships with professionals in venture at events and pitch competitions
- Outstanding analytical skills and detail-oriented
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A basic understanding of valuation analysis, financial statement analysis, and accounting
- Proactive, strong work ethic, and willingness to learn
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment
- Students must commit to working 20 hours per week for a minimum of two semesters
*The dynamic nature of work means the student experience becomes more valuable with deeper levels of engagement. To facilitate this experience, students are expected to commit to working 20 hours per week for a minimum of two semesters (continuation beyond the first semester is dependent upon meeting the appropriate level of performance).
**The Sorenson Impact Center strongly encourages diverse applicants (please circulate widely), especially those who self-identify as Black, Native or Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, non-binary, living with disabilities, neurodivergent, young, speak English as a second language, and others from overlooked / underestimated communities.
*** Due to legal restrictions regarding student employment under certain Visa statuses, Sorenson Impact can not guarantee our ability to pay international students. For international students potentially selected, we commit to working with you and your institution to determine our ability to adequately compensate you for your time and energy. Please reach out with any questions.Impact can not guarantee our ability to pay international students. For international students potentially selected, we commit to working with you and your institution to determine our ability to adequately compensate you for your time and energy. Please reach out with any questions.